Powered by Max Banner Ads
Penn State’s Hamler Named to FWAA Freshman All-America Team
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Penn State return specialist KJ Hamler was named to the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) Freshman All-America team as a kick returner after a fantastic rookie season.
(Photo by Paul Burdick. Check out more of Burdick’s work here)
KJ Hamler, KR, So./Fr., 5-9, 173, Pontiac, Mich./IMG Academy (Fla.)
• Selected to the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) Freshman All-America team as a kick returner.
• Named to The Athletic Freshman All-America team as a kick/punt returner and all-purpose player.
• Honorable-mention all-conference as a return specialist by coaches and media.
• Selected as a finalist for the Paul Hornung Award for the FBS’ Most Versatile Player.
• Named to Paul Hornung Award Honor Roll (9/10) following the Pitt game.
• Named Big Ten Freshman of the Week (10/1) after the Ohio State game.
• Selected to the Paul Hornung Award Honor Roll (10/1) after the Ohio State game.
• Named to the Pro Football Focus Big Ten Team of the Week (10/1) following the Ohio State game.
• Ranks No. 4 in the Big Ten and No. 31 in the FBS with 619 total return yards.
• Sits No. 18 in the nation and No. 3 in the conference with a 26.2 kick return average.
• Is No. 6 in the Big Ten and No. 50 in the country with 109.0 all-purpose yards per game.
• Ranks No. 2 in the Big Ten and No. 25 in FBS averaging 17.95 yards per reception.
• Returned a kickoff 52 yards to spark PSU’s game-tying drive versus Appalachian State (9/1).
• Had kick returns of 27 and 28 yards for a total of 145 all-purpose yards at Pittsburgh (9/8).
• Totaled 107 all-purpose yards on three touches, catching a 22-yard pass, returning a kickoff 52 yards and a punt 33 yards against Kent State (9/15).
• Had a 17-yard punt return and a 12-yard kick return at Illinois (9/21).
• Totaled a career-best 195 all-purpose yards, including 47 yards on three kick returns and a 10-yard punt return, against Ohio State (9/29).
• Returned three kickoffs for 57 yards, including a 24-yard return, against Michigan State (10/13).
• Returned the opening kickoff 58 yards, a career-best return, and added a 21-yard kick return and a 16-yard punt return at Indiana (10/20).
• Totaled 188 all-purpose yards via five passes for 96 yards and 82 kick return yards, including a career-best 67-yard return in the fourth quarter, against Iowa (10/27). Also gained 10 yards on three punt returns.
• Returned two kickoffs for 30 yards and had a 1-yard punt return at Michigan (11/3).
• Matched a career-high with five catches for 35 yards against Wisconsin (11/10).
• Had a 15-yard punt return at Rutgers (11/17).
Copyright © 2019 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.