Clarion Area School Passes $14.4 Million Budget, No New Taxes
The $14,396,756.00 budget also projects a year-end fund balance of $825,496.00.
Long-term indebtedness is projected at $11.9 million, slightly less than the $12.3 million in 2018-19.
The real estate tax of 65.7300 has remained unchanged for several years.
Other taxes include:
- Earned Income – one percent (1/2 percent collected by the school district)
- Occupational Assessment – 25 percent
- Per Capita – $5.00 under School Code
- Per Capita – $5.00 under Act 511
- LST – $52.00 – Clarion Borough, Monroe, Highland & Paint Townships ($5.00 collected by the district for Borough, Monroe & Paint Townships; $10.00 Highland Township under Act 511)
- Real Estate Transfer – ½ percent for Clarion Borough, Monroe, Paint, and Highland Townships.
School board members unanimously approved the budget.
“It moves into the 19-20 school year without a tax increase. It’s as fiscally sound as we can be. We’re always looking for improvements to save money and provide for our students,” explained board president Hugh Henry.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a Memorandum of Understanding for shared services with Clarion Limestone School District. Clarion Area and Clarion Limestone Area School Districts have agreed to coordinate and implement the following services related to Special Education programming for the 2019 – 2020 school year: high school life skills (grades 7-12) and elementary adaptive classroom (grades k – 6).
- Approved a Transportation Contract with Paul Brown Busing for a term of two years for a sum of $358,500.00 for the 2019-20 school year and increase that sum by the July twelve month Consumer Price Index for all items each year for the remaining terms of the contract. The contract also includes a price of $1.70 per mile for van student transportation runs.
- Accepted the resignations of Carmen Vecchitto as Co-Advisor of Senior High Student Council and John Kimmel as High School Principal effective July 1, 2019.
- Accepted the appointments of the following individuals:
– Mark Kahle – Full-time Maintenance – $12.00/hr;
– Dave Louder – Assistant Varsity Football Coach – Step 1- $2,673;
– Todd Matthews – Jr. High Football Coach – Step 1 – $2,412;
– Randy Cathcart – Assistant Jr. High Football Coach – Max Step – $3,488;
– Jess Quinn – Assistant Jr. High Football Coach – Max Step- – $3,48;
– Michael Ferguson – Assistant Jr. High Football Coach – Step 1 – $2,022; and
– Bonnie Brocious – Part-time Custodian HS;
– Tiffany Fox – Part-time Custodian HS;
– Loni Beichner – Part-time Custodian Elementary;
– Anita Sharrar – Part-time Custodian Elementary;
– Peggy Rex – Part-time Painter;
– Karen Wells – Part-time Painter; and
– Tom Williams – Part-time Maintenance;
– [All part-time…$10.00 per hour (pending clearances)].
- Approved Leave Without Pay requests from Jeff Mabold – Custodian, Karen Black – Paraprofessional, Nicholas Cullo – Paraprofessional, Molly Kirby – Teacher, Erika Cathcart – Teacher 19-20 school year, and Samantha Harling – Teacher 19-20 school year.
Copyright © 2019 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.