Tax Increase Included in Clarion-Limestone Proposed Budget
The approval of the proposed budget precedes the adoption of a final budget which will be on the agenda for the next meeting on Wednesday, June 19.
Clarion-Limestone’s proposed budget, in the amount of $15,155,105.00, includes a proposed tax increase of 1 mill. According to Business Manager Stephanie Smith, the increase would come out to a total of around $80,560.00.
“The finance committee agreed to propose a tax increase of one mill. We sat down and talked about the expenses and the income and what was best for the community and we all agreed to propose a one mill tax increase,” explained Smith.
“At this time, what makes it really hard for schools is that the state budget is not passed. And, as everyone knows, there are several contracts still that aren’t finalized.”
Smith also provided an example of the proposed tax increase based on the average assessed value in Clairon County, pictured below.
“CL is in a very good financial position, and if we want to continue that, we’ve just got to really start looking at the continual increasing costs and be very diligent in making informed business decisions on cost savings and revenue generation,” Smith noted.
“It is very important that when we do this, we keep our mission statement in mind, and do what is best for the student, but also do what is best for the community and the school district and the employees. We want to be around for a very long time. We want to keep this good financial standing for years to come.”
In other business, the board:
- Approved the appointment of Brooks and Rhoads, CPA to audit the district accounts for the year ending June 30, 2019, at a cost of $8,500.00 for the financial statement audit for tax collector audits.
- Approved Maiello, Brungo & Maiello, LLP as school district legal counsel for the 2019-20 fiscal year at a rate of $110.00 per hour (same as previous year) for General Solicitor services and $135.00 per hour (same as previous year) for Special Council services such as litigation or labor negotiations. Fee for attendance at six meetings will be $450.00 (It was $350.00 the previous year). The para-professionals service will be billed at $75.00 per hour.
- Approved proposal from One American through the Enscoe Long Insurance Group for Life Insurance and Long Term Disability coverage effective July 1, 2019 though June 30, 2022.
- Approved Jessica Schwabenbauer (Aide, Clerical), Megan Kelley (PreK-4, Special Education PreK-8), and Kelsey Lutz (PreK-4, Special Education PreK-8) as day-to-day substitutes for the 2019-20 school year, pending receipt of all required legal documentation.
- Approved the following 2019-20 supplemental contracts, pending receipt of all required legal documentation:
- Madison Nugent – Head Varsity Cheerleading Coach – $2,248.00
- Scott Fox – Assistant Varsity Basketball Coach – $3,270.00
- Approved hire of Nicholas Cyphert as a PHEAA State_Work Study summer worker, pending PHEAA approval and receipt of all require legal documentation.
- Approved Robert Kriebel as a bus/van driver for Rossey Busing for the 2019-20 school year and approve as a substitute driver for other bus contractors, pending receipt of all required legal documentation.
- Approved the sharing of special education programming with Clarion Area School District at a $12,500.00 cost per student for the 2019-20 school year, not to include itinerant services.
- Approved acceptance of resignations for Edward Dulavitch (social studies teacher) and Carlene Plucinski (elementary teacher) for retirement purposes effective at the end of the 2018-19 school year.
- Approved leave without pay for Ann Dolby on April 29 and May 6, 2019.
- Approved Jessica Bracken, Laura Dunn, and Rachel Lambing as school/athletics volunteers, pending receipt of all legal documentation.
Copyright © 2019 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.