Counting Down 15 Top HS Sports Stories from EYT Media Area: No. 6 Oil City Football Wins First D10 Crown Since 1998
(Photo by Shane Lux)
NO. 6 – OIL CITY FOOTBALL WINS FIRST D10 CROWN IN 20 YEARS
Oil City football has had some good teams over the past 20 years but none since 1998 that claimed a District 10 title.
Until this past season.
The Oilers, who became a run-oriented team when Dan York was hired a few years ago as the head coach, rewarded that philosophy by running over opponents on their way to the District 10 Class 5A title.
The title game victory over General McLane was doubly sweet, as the Lancers had handed Oil City its only loss of the regular season, 17-12, back in September.
But playing just minutes from General McLane High School at Edinboro University, Oil City got the win when it mattered the most taking the lead for good, 14-12, on a 10-yard touchdown run by Christian Cole with 5:15 to play.
That scored was the capper on a comeback from a 12-0 second-quarter deficit for the Oilers, who got down 6-0 just 38 seconds into the game after fumbling the opening kickoff.
But Cole, who had an unbelievable season rushing for over 3,000 yards, turned the tide on a trick play throwing a 62-yard fake punt pass to Caleb Bish with 3:05 left in the first half to get Oil City within six, 12-6, at halftime.
The Oilers still trailed by six deep into the fourth quarter before Cole, who rushed for 121 yards on the night, scored on the 10-yard run.
The Oil City defense then had to hold on for dear life, as General McLane drove to the Oil City 18-yard line with just over a minute to play. But Cam Russell, a Cranberry student playing as part of a co-op with Oil City, was able to recover a fumble to seal the championship for the Oilers, who finished the year 10-2 after a PIAA playoff loss to Hollidaysburg.
TOP 15 EYT MEDIA SPORTS STORIES FROM 2018-19 SCHOOL YEAR
6. Oil City Wins First District 10 Football Crown Since 1998
7. Clarion/C-L Combine Football Programs
8. Curwensville Head Coach Andy Evanko Passes Away
9. Newcomb Sets D9’s Single-Season Rushing Mark
10. Franklin Baseball Wins D10 Title, Advances to PIAA Semifinals
11. Young Clearfield Softball Team Reaches PIAA Semifinals
12. Cranberry Softball Goes to PIAA Semifinals
13. A-C Valley Girls’ Basketball Wins KSAC Title; Advances to PIAA Quarterfinals
14. Oil City’s Emma Stevenson wins 1,600-meter run at District 10 championship
15. Clarion Volleyball Wins D9 Title Advances to PIAA Quarterfinals
Copyright © 2019 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.