Counting Down 15 Top HS Sports Stories from EYT Media Area: No. 1 Oil City’s Cole Dominates Multiple Sports
(Photo of Oil City’s Chrisitan Cole. Photo by Andy Close of the Warren Times Observer)
NO. 1 – CHRISTIAN COLE DOMINATES
In the day and age of sports specialization, an athlete who dominates multiple sports is becoming rarer and rarer.
Don’t tell that to recent Oil City graduate Christian Cole.
Cole had himself a senior year to remember and a senior year that will be remembered in oil country and beyond for years to come.
It started during the football season when Cole spearheaded Oil City’s first District 10 title (Class 5A) in 20 years. He did so the old-fashion way, by running for it.
Cole finished the 2018 football season with 3,252 yards on the ground, a District 10 single-season record, and he scored 46 rushing touchdowns, also a District 10 single-season mark.
In 12 games, Cole ran for 200 or more yards 10 times. If that wasn’t good enough, he added five 300-yard games including a career-best 383 yards in a win over Meadville. For his efforts, he earned All-State honors.
But Cole wasn’t resting on his fall laurels, as he helped OIl City in two spring sports as well.
In track & field, Cole showed the speed that helped him in football winning the title as the fastest boy in District 10 Class 3A by winning the 100-meter dash and finishing second in the 200-meter dash.
When he wasn’t dominating on the track, he was helping the Oil City baseball team as an outfielder and earned second-team All-Region 6 honors for his efforts.
Cole was a finalist for the prestigious Erie Times-News Varsity Cup Male Athlete of the Year.
TOP 15 EYT MEDIA SPORTS STORIES FROM 2018-19 SCHOOL YEAR
1. Christian Cole Dominates
2. Whitehill, Scott Win PIAA Wrestling Crowns
3. Brookville’s Record-Setting 4×100-meter Relay Team
4. DCC Softball Reaches PIAA Title Game
5. Brookville Boys’ Track Finishes Second in the State
6. Oil City Wins First District 10 Football Crown Since 1998
7. Clarion/C-L Combine Football Programs
8. Curwensville Head Coach Andy Evanko Passes Away
9. Newcomb Sets D9’s Single-Season Rushing Mark
10. Franklin Baseball Wins D10 Title, Advances to PIAA Semifinals
11. Young Clearfield Softball Team Reaches PIAA Semifinals
12. Cranberry Softball Goes to PIAA Semifinals
13. A-C Valley Girls’ Basketball Wins KSAC Title; Advances to PIAA Quarterfinals
14. Oil City’s Emma Stevenson wins 1,600-meter run at District 10 championship
15. Clarion Volleyball Wins D9 Title Advances to PIAA Quarterfinals
Copyright © 2019 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.