St. Michael’s Labor Day Picnic Set for September 2
The schedule of events includes:
10:00 a.m. – Dinner ticket sales will open. Dinner tickets are also available for purchase in advance at the parish office in Lucinda between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday.
11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. – The traditional all-you-can-eat chicken and ham dinners will be served, featuring homemade noodle soup, breads, and desserts. Takeouts will also be available. Dinner prices are $9.00 for adults and $4.50 for children. Pre-school is free. A concession stand will also be open on the grounds for lighter fare.
11:00 a.m. – Grounds open featuring games of skill and a chance for all ages to win. Booths include a Chinese auction, baked goods, candy, and great prizes for the children. Various cuts of meat will be raffled off throughout the event. A cornerstone attraction is the quilt booth. Handmade quilts, donated by members of the Rosary Society of St. Michael Church, will be awarded in drawings held throughout the day.
12:00 p.m. – Called number games will begin in the upper floor of the social hall and will continue throughout the afternoon.
4:00 p.m to 5:00 p.m. – Labor Day Loot grand prizes will be drawn.
The featured prizes are:
– Five (5) $1,000 cash prizes;
– La-Z-Boy Recliner, donated by Faller Furniture, Clarion;
– A $500 cash prize, donated by Faller Funeral Home, Inc. – Adam G. Faller, Supervisor, Fryburg;
– A $500 cash prize, donated by the St. Michael Rosary Society, Fryburg;
– 50” Hisense Roku Ready Smart TV, donated by UPS;
– 4 ft Victorian bench, donated by Lander’s Inc., Lucinda;
– Two (2) $100.00 Savings Accounts, donated by First United National Bank, Fryburg; and
– A $100.00 Gift Certificate to Comet Food Warehouse, donated by Comet Food Warehouse, Clarion.
Separate ticket raffles will also be drawn the day of the picnic including a livestock ticket raffle and Pittsburgh Pirates ticket raffle.
The prizes for the livestock ticket are:
– A live calf donated by Twin Hollow Farms of Fryburg and a starter feed kit donated by Sandy Ridge Farms of Shippenville OR $200 in cash;
– A piglet or $50 in cash donated by Five G Farm of Fryburg;
– Half (1/2) of a hog (winner is responsible for processing) donated by J&C Meats, New Bethlehem;
– A quarter (1/4) of beef (winner responsible for processing) donated by Eisenman Livestock, Venus; and
– Potatoes for a year (10# bag US #1 Red every month), donated by Long Acres Potato Farm, Tionesta.
The prizes for the Pittsburgh Pirates raffle are:
– Grand Prize – 4 tickets to the Pirates vs. Cincinnati Reds game, Sunday, Sept. 29th, at PNC Park. Seats are in the LEXUS CLUB;
– 2nd Prize – 4 tickets to the Pirates vs. Cincinnati Reds game, Sunday, Sept. 29th, at PNC Park. Seats are in Field Level Box, 3rd Base 28, Row A; and
– 3rd Prize – 4 MLB hats of the winner’s choice.
All raffle tickets including the Labor Day Loot tickets will be available on the grounds or in advance at the parish office in Lucinda, as well as various local businesses.
The event will be held rain or shine as it is under cover. Plenty of outdoor seating will be available on the grounds for visiting.
All proceeds benefit St. Michael Parish.
History of the Labor Day Picnic
On July 23, 1898, Father August Hoeing became pastor of St. Michael Church. Early in his pastorate, he began the now famous Labor Day Picnic. It was held in the Ginkel hickory grove, and food was then the main attraction. The women of the parish provided baskets of chicken, cookies, cakes, and pies. Tables were set up in the grove, and food was served from the house.
A few stands sold fancywork and trinkets, but the most often remembered was the stand selling bologna. A large pavilion was built for dancing, and Peter Ginkel, playing a handcrafted violin, often provided the music.
Eventually, the crowd swelled, and the grove became too small. The picnic was moved to its present location adjacent to the parish hall. The parish grounds are located along Route 208 in Fryburg.
For more information, you can call the parish office at 814-226-7288.
Copyright © 2019 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.