Nearly Two Dozen Fire Companies Dispatched to ‘Tire Fire’ in Toby Township
According to a Clarion County 9-1-1 dispatcher, the call came in at 3:58 p.m. on Monday, May 29, for a large outside fire at 481 State Route 861 in Toby Township, Clarion County.
It was reported that a large amount of brush and tires caught on fire, the dispatcher said.
The following units were dispatched to the scene:
- Rimersburg Hose Company, Inc.
- Callensburg Volunteer Fire Department
- Clarion Fire & Hose Company No. 1
- East Brady Volunteer Fire Department
- Hawthorn Volunteer Fire Department
- Knox Volunteer Fire Company, Inc.
- Limestone Township Fire Department
- New Bethlehem Fire Company 1
- Perry Township Fire Department
- Shippenville-Elk Township Volunteer Fire Department
- Sligo Volunteer Fire Department, Inc.
- St. Petersburg Volunteer Fire Department
- Strattanville Volunteer Fire Department
- Parker City Volunteer Fire Department (Armstrong County)
- Sugarcreek Township Volunteer Fire Department (Armstrong County)
- Distant Area Volunteer Fire Department (Armstrong County)
- Corsica Fire Company (Jefferson County)
- Summerville Volunteer Firemen’s Association (Jefferson County)
- Ringgold Area Volunteer Fire Company (Jefferson County)
- Chicora Independent Hose Company (Butler County)
- Petrolia Volunteer Fire Department Station 28 (Butler County)
- Bruin Volunteer Fire Department and Relief Association (Butler County)
The dispatcher was unable to say whether or not anyone was injured.
A representative of Rimersburg Hose Company told exploreClarion.com that the fire started because the homeowners were burning “household trash.”
“They thought it was out, and it sparked over into the pile (of tires),” the representative said.
A portion of State Route 861 was closed while crews battled the fire but has since reopened.
The scene was cleared at 9:17 p.m.
Copyright © 2023 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.