Clarion County Recipe of the Day: Spiced Pumpkin Ice Cream Puffs
This extraordinary dessert showcases homemade pumpkin ice cream and cream puffs!
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
6 large egg yolks
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup water
6 tablespoons butter, cubed
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, room temperature
1. In a large saucepan, heat cream and 1/2 cup milk to 175°; stir in sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until the mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing the pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and remaining milk. Press waxed paper onto the surface of the custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
2. Fill the cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.
3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg; set aside. In a large saucepan, bring water, butter, and salt to a boil. Add flour mixture all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth and shiny.
4. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
5. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from the inside. Cool puffs.
6. To serve, scoop ice cream into cream puff bottoms; replace tops.
Do you want to have your recipe featured as the Clarion County Recipe of the Day? If the answer is yes, the process is quick and easy! Simply email your recipe to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Clarion County Recipe of the Day” as the subject. Also, we’d love for you to include a fun picture of the dish you’re sharing. Make your recipe famous today!
Copyright © 2023 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.