THE LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) OUTBREAK
Clarion County Not Planning Any Tax Increases for 2020
“There’s not going to be a tax increase here as long as I’m here,” said Commissioner Ted Tharan following this week’s work session.
Commissioners Tharan, Wayne Brosius, and Ed Heasley met the Wednesday morning following the fall elections. (According to unofficial results, all three retain their seats, but challenger Braxton White came within 50 votes of Ed Heasley. The Clarion County Election Board will likely certify the results of the election next week.)
Asked about the race for Commissioner, Tharan said, “I’m very glad it turned out the way it did. I’m pleased with the results because we’ve been able to get a lot done in the last four years and will do a lot more in the next four years.”
There may also be a change in when meetings will be held next year.
“We’re going to be looking at changing the meetings for next year,” Tharan sad. “Instead of having work sessions on the first and third Tuesday of the month and official meetings on the second and fourth, I’d like to have a work session at 9:00 a.m. and then the official meeting at 10:00 a.m. It’s sort of redundant Tuesday when you look at what’s on the agenda and then the next week and come in and act on it. Work sessions are primarily held if you have any questions on the agenda. I’m going to look at that and see. When I was on the school board, that’s how we did it.”
In addition to the adoption of the tentative 2020 budget at next Tuesday’s meeting, Ordinance 1 of 2019, a Hotel Tax Amendment, is also on the agenda. It clarifies items about bed and breakfast and payment of the hotel tax.
New hires are on the agenda, including the following:
- Public Safety. New Hire. Joey Skiba to fill the vacant position of 9-1-1 Telecommunicator Trainee. Part-time, no more than 29 hours/week, non-exempt. Effective Date: 10/30/2019. Salary: $10.66/hour.
- Corrections. New Hire. Avery Nelson to fill the vacant position of Part-time Corrections Officer. Part time, no more than 29 hours/week, non-exempt. Effective Date: 11/6/2019. Salary: 12.00/hour.
- CYS. New Hire. Kimberly Black to fill the vacant position of Fiscal Assistant. Full-time, 40 hours/week, non-exempt. Effective Date: 11/4/2019. Salary: $12.59/hour.
- Public Safety. Promotion. Shane Smerkar to move into the vacant position of 9-1-1 Supervisor. Full-time, 36/48 hours/week, non-exempt. Effective Date: 10/27/2019. Salary: $16.90/hour.
- Corrections. Promotion. Dustin Jamison to move into the vacant position of Corrections Officer. Full-time, 36/48 hours/week, non-exempt. Effective Date: 10/30/2019. Salary: $13.59/hour.
- Resignation of Roxanne Randolph (Assessment) effective 10/31/2019. Resignation of Donna Buckner (Domestic Relations) effective 10/31/2019. Resignation of Tom Hornberger (Corrections) effective 11/3/2019. Lay off of Park employees for the season, Carol Marshall, Doug Marshall, David Blum, Kelsey Terwilliger, David Lannigan, effective 10/30/2019.
- Domestic Relations. Promotion. Sydney Whitmore to move into the vacant position of Conference Officer. Full-time, 35 hours/week, non-exempt. Effective Date: 11/4/2019. Salary: $23,660.00
- Domestic Relations. Promotion. Heather Reiner to move into the vacant position of Intake Officer. Full-time, 35 hours/week, non-exempt. Effective Date: 11/4/2019. Salary: $21,840.00
- Contract on behalf of Courts with Thomas Reuters for the seven county attorneys to be able to access West Law online (Judge James Arner, Judge Paul Millen, Sara Seidle-Patton, Erich Spessard, Cory Ricci, Mark Aaron, and Drew Welsh). To access the law library. Cost: $3,034.72. Term: 36 months upon completion of contract.
Copyright © 2020 EYT Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Any copying, redistribution or retransmission of the contents of this service without the express written consent of EYT Media Group, Inc. is expressly prohibited.